RSS

Tag Archives: Pelican

Pelican cloak- project completed

This is the cloak for Bronwyn, elevated to the OP yesterday.  The inspiration was a photograph of a stained glass church window.  I was 1/2 of the creative team for this cloak.  I built the applique and the physical cloak.  All the beading on the birds were completed by Lady Caitrina Gordon- called Katya.

Project details:

  • Purple cotton velvet- cartridge pleated caplet.
  • Linen applique, in the form of stained glass.

Inspiration:

Step 1: Applique Pieces

Stage 2:Inked

Stage 3: Lead Lines

Stage 4: Outer Ring

Stage 5: Completed cloak

With the beading:

Photo courtesy of Cateline la Broderesse

Advertisements
 
2 Comments

Posted by on October 3, 2011 in Pelican, Regalia, Sewing

 

Tags: , , ,

KQAS 2011 Update: Pelican Embroidery

The Pelican has been completed.  I have the bottom border with the rest of the heraldry appliqued. I will be working on finishing the rest of the cloak this coming week *.

Project details:

  • Pelican: DMC linen floss, satin/split stitch
  • Blood and beaks:DMC cotton floss, satin/split stitch
  • Nest: DMC multi-dyed cotton pearl, couched stitch
  • Outline: DMC gold floss, stem stitch
  • Laurel leaves are machine appliqued linen.
  • Overall cloak is a light weight wool, lined in linen.

*Only the embroidery part of this project is being entered. However it will probably show better if the whole cloak is completed.

 
1 Comment

Posted by on April 4, 2011 in Embroidery, Pelican, Regalia

 

Tags: , , ,

Pelican- Marion del Oakes: Dress

I was asked to help with creating some regalia for a good friend’s elevation to the Order of the Pelican. I was responsible for a new dress and a new personal banner.

Marion’s persona is 14th century English.
“Over the chemise, women wore a loose or fitted gown called a cotte or kirtle, usually ankle or floor-length, and with trains for formal occasions. Fitted kirtles had full skirts made by adding triangular gores to widen the hem without adding bulk at the waist. Kirtles had long sleeves.”

Marion approached me prior to Spring Crown for help in creating a 14th century dress. 2 weeks prior her husband approached me for help in creating a 14th century dress for her elevation to Pelican. I had never sewn for this century before and was unaware of how to make this type of dress. Unbeknown to Marion, when she asked for help, she was handing me a “practice” dress. I was able to measure her, do a duct tape double, and create the Crown Tourney dress all in preparation for her elevation. AND… she helped in the whole process. We even created a custom pattern to be used later.

Ironically enough (ok not really… I planned it that way) the sideless over kirtle we made has the same color cherry shot through at regular intervals. She will be able to use the over kirtle for both dresses.

After crown, we had to modify the pattern to create more bust support. The result has become her elevation dress. The dress was created in 5.3 oz cherry linen. It is ankle length with a modest train and two additional triangle gores. It is a formal dress, without too much additional fabric.

The cord was created by my student and her cadet Lady Elysabeth Underhill. It was hand combed, spun, dyed (with assistance from another of her teachers Lady Iseault), and corded.
Lissa’s diary entry.

The lacing holes are much improved over the first dress as I had a lot of practice with the blanket stitch from the banner project. Finished dress:

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on July 27, 2009 in Pelican, Sewing

 

Tags: , , , ,

Pelican- Marion del Oakes: Banner

I was asked to help with creating some regalia for a good friend’s elevation to the Order of the Pelican.  I was responsible for a new dress and a new personal banner.

Marion del Oakes’ personal device has oak leaves, acorns and a badger.

We have had a great discussion about badgers over the course of a lengthy car ride to and from New Hampshire.  Her favorite is the honey badger.  She likes the little white cap on their heads.  Honey badgers are also known for being deceptively cute, and vigorously nasty.

My first task was to find out if I could substitute the badger she was currently using for the honey badger. The heralds (I know a lot of heralds) said yup, the badge specifies a black badger… not a specific badger. So a honey badger is what was created first. The badger itself was made applique style.  The white cap and fir lines were painted on using fabric paint.  It is a little smaller than the badger on her device, but honey badgers aren’t very big.  I added claws and teeth, so no one would get the idea that it was a “nice” badger.

Note: the back side of the badger is lined in a cute pink bunny fabric which was used to bind the whole animal together.

The oak leaves and acorns were made in the applique style.  I used a cookie cutter to create the shapes from green, brown and ginger linen. Then I used a fabric glue to hold the appliques in place.  Finally I finished off the appliques using a hand sewn blanket stitch.

The final touch was to add the latin “Cave melem” which means, beware of badger. This was also done applique style in black linen.
cavemelem

The banner was made of a gold colored linen, and is lined.
FinshedBanner

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on July 27, 2009 in Pelican, Sewing

 

Tags: , , , ,