RSS

Category Archives: Regalia

Swabian #4- finished

The Swabian for Bhakail’s investiture has been completed.

I had help with the beading of the front and back bodice. Thanks Violet Coleson and Ysmay de Linn. I applied the appliques and beads for the sleeve. There is still the fill beading and join appliques left to do. But it was done for the event.

Full dress:
Completed Dress

Sleeve closeup:
Sleeve Closeup

Photography by Jennifer Guyton

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on July 3, 2013 in Baronial, Embroidery, German, Heraldic, Regalia

 

Tags: , , , , , ,

Swabian dress #4: Sleeve in progress

The appliques are down on the sleeve and the beading has begun in earnest. Here are some of the pictures of the sleeve in progress.

Base appliques
20130120_212158

Beading begins
SleeveLizardProgression

Full sleeve with appliques down and some beading
AppliqueProgress

We have squirrels
20130511_145919

And so you have the reference, here is what we are trying to achieve.

 

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Elevation cap- heraldic

I made a hat veil thingy. I swore up and down there was no way in hell this thing was going to stay on anyone’s head. The straw form just slid off my head. However… When you put the whole thing together, gravity keeps it on the head. It was like a light bulb went off over my head and words were uttered. “Holy crow, the English actually knew what they were doing in the late 15th century.”

veil

Linen, with linen applique sewn down via detached buttonhole, with metal thread.
Applique

Hat

 
1 Comment

Posted by on May 14, 2013 in Embroidery, Heraldic, Pelican, Sewing

 

Tags: , , , , , ,

Baron Ian Raven of Tadcaster

When Ian was elevated to the status of Baron, I wanted to make my Don something heraldic and formal to celebrate the occasion.  Using the pattern we had developed a couple of years ago, I made a simple green cote, with ermine doublet and reversible ermine/green hood.  The hood was made to rapier armor specifications.  Because one cannot have too many list legal hoods.

  • Outer cote: Cotton velvet
  • Doublet: Ermine fabric is pre-printed.  Having hand painted ermine spots before, I found on demand printed fabric. http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/315883 in 50/50 linen cotton blend.
  • Tippets: Linen
  • Hood: Ermine fabric and linen, with liripipe

Here is the completed ensemble:

 
2 Comments

Posted by on October 16, 2012 in Baronial, Heraldic, Regalia, Sewing

 

Pelican- Mistress Alys Mackyntoich: Cloak

This was a super secret project for Mistress Alys Mackyntoich. She was elevated in 1999, so it wasn’t a secret that she was going to be a peer. We had talked about doing a new cloak as regalia off and on for a while. But something always took priority. So Engracia and I hatched a plan. I would to the pelican and the cloak, she would do Alys’ other badges and we would find a metal worker to create the clasps. The clasps were created by Lady Xandra Rozina Xiberras Galea and are matched Tygers of the East.

Stitches: Long and short, split, chain.
Materials: Gold torsade #3, gilt pearl purl, silk pearl floss, linen ground.
Inspiration: Pelican panel #3, Aberdeen Beastiary ~13th century.
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/bestiary/comment/35rbirdf.hti

The cloak is styled after a short cope and is made out of 19th century cotton velvet. I had some legacy fabric on hand and its been waiting for a project such as this. It is pieced in 6 pieces as the fabric I had was very long, but only 20 inches wide. The panels are attempting to mimic the diamond pattern from the beastiary. They were held to the fabric via lightweight fusible web and then appliqued down. Gold and silver gilt is being applied around the applique. It will be lined in linen.

There will be more posted about the cloak as it continues to be built.

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on January 27, 2012 in Embroidery, Pelican

 

Tags: , , , ,

Pelican cloak- project completed

This is the cloak for Bronwyn, elevated to the OP yesterday.  The inspiration was a photograph of a stained glass church window.  I was 1/2 of the creative team for this cloak.  I built the applique and the physical cloak.  All the beading on the birds were completed by Lady Caitrina Gordon- called Katya.

Project details:

  • Purple cotton velvet- cartridge pleated caplet.
  • Linen applique, in the form of stained glass.

Inspiration:

Step 1: Applique Pieces

Stage 2:Inked

Stage 3: Lead Lines

Stage 4: Outer Ring

Stage 5: Completed cloak

With the beading:

Photo courtesy of Cateline la Broderesse

 
2 Comments

Posted by on October 3, 2011 in Pelican, Regalia, Sewing

 

Tags: , , ,

KQAS 2011 Update: Pelican Embroidery

The Pelican has been completed.  I have the bottom border with the rest of the heraldry appliqued. I will be working on finishing the rest of the cloak this coming week *.

Project details:

  • Pelican: DMC linen floss, satin/split stitch
  • Blood and beaks:DMC cotton floss, satin/split stitch
  • Nest: DMC multi-dyed cotton pearl, couched stitch
  • Outline: DMC gold floss, stem stitch
  • Laurel leaves are machine appliqued linen.
  • Overall cloak is a light weight wool, lined in linen.

*Only the embroidery part of this project is being entered. However it will probably show better if the whole cloak is completed.

 
1 Comment

Posted by on April 4, 2011 in Embroidery, Pelican, Regalia

 

Tags: , , ,