Progress has been made on getting the appliques pieced. I have completed the first 1/2, and pieced & ironed down the second side. I’ve opted for doing 100% applique for the ermine dots rather than purchasing fabric. This is a mostly formal dress, the appliques will look nicer. The time line for completion has moved from River Wars to Coronation. As of today, I have not decided if this will double as armor.
Monthly Archives: September 2013
Been working on my artisan swap gift the last few months. I made an embroidered hankie, with pulled work border, with silver gilt appliques for heraldry. Then the a cat yaked on it and I had to start over again. I got the border re-pulled and 1/2 of the appliques down. I was not going to get it finished even with the 2 week extension. My hands couldn’t handle the speed needed for the hand sewing/deadline.
So I started a different project, that I could finish in a short time period and still be nice looking.
This is the heraldic slip cover for rounded metal back chairs. I got a folding chair with a rounded top, the kind you are most likely going to find at events with folding chairs. I created a pattern that covers the chair back with a person’s device. The point of the device was extended to 1/2 below the seat, covering most of the legs from the back view. There are ties in the upper part, so they can be attached to the chair back to prevent movement/falling off the chair. I made the project out of 100% wool and machine appliqued the device. The machine sewing should handle wear and tear better and the wool should handle everything else.
It is a way to cover up the modern at an event, and serve as a place holder. Everyone will know who’s chair it is. I am continuing to work on the handkerchief project and will get that to the person as soon as it is finished.I am happy with how the project came out. I hope my recipient is too.
And now I have a solid pattern that I can use for other folks.