I am currently working on a backlog heraldic armor dress for Brunissende Dragonette de Brocéliande. This one’s a bit different, because the heraldry is different. It has stripes that need to line up horizontally across the body, front and back and across the side gores. So far, so good. The real challenge comes when I go to put in the gores.
Monthly Archives: July 2012
Every once in a while I do something that is frivolous and fun. And any time after 12 AM is my time to work on things for me (as long as I am awake and on schedule). This was Saturday’s insomnia project at 1 AM. The project came about because once upon a time, a young girl told me a story of her sock monkeys. And Target had sock monkeys on clearance.
Sutton Hoo– The armature is finally taking shape. I’ve procrastinated on this project as long as a I can to get a break in the weather. Humidity is not friends with sugar paste. The armature has to be done in stages. Since I am using wire mesh with sharp edges, I need to recover my hands before moving on to the next pieces. all I have left is one ear flap to cut. I will paper mache the face, neck and ear flaps this weekend. They will take some time to dry in the oven (pilot lights provide enough dry heat without actually turning on the oven). The main helm will be getting it’s sugar coating this weekend. This will allow me to dry everything completely before applying the paint.
Champion cassocks– These are well underway. The artwork has been updated with new swept hilts, thanks to the hard work of Baron Ian Raven and his updated artwork for the OGRs. King’s champion sleeve has been sewn down, Queen’s champion sleeve has been pieced and ironed.
Fundrasier cloaks– All the cloaks have been cut, pieced and sewn for lining and outer cloaks. The applique work is starting to go down. I will get pictures up very soon. Of the 10 cloaks offered, 9 sold. Several will have award badge designations in the yellow banner, including ORG, Rose and Laurel. These cloaks will be list legal 1/2 circle, non-rigid parry objects. They are based on a 16th century pattern.
And there are the miscellaneous projects of coats, armor, dresses and more armor. I will post pictures as I get projects more into a state of doneness.
I have started work on HRM Kenric’s fencing armor. This is a new to me idea of creating a chevron on material that someone is going to wear. I have put the point at the arm pit so that it will join correctly and create the correct line. The blue background is to help you see the white top portion that is resting on a white comforter.