Monthly Archives: July 2011

Armature bunny

I have started working on my armature sample.  I’ve decided to make it a bunny. The underlying structure is aluminum craft wire.  It is pretty light, structurally sound and easy to manipulate.  The bunny is made in sections.  Each section will have a different type of covering: plaster, paper mache, paste board and bare wire.  Once I get the bunny covered, I can experiment with different sealers.

Since the bunny is symmetrical, I can leave 1/2 unsealed and 1/2 sealed.  This will be my teaching bunny.  I will be able to show people exactly what was under the covers, how it was sealed and have general conversations about structural integrity. Since he will be small, I will be able to transport him to various classes in pieces and assemble on site.  Since he is modular, I will also be able to send different parts of the bunny around the class for people to look at and hold.

Since records of how sugar pieces were actually build are few and far between, most of these methods are theories.  But it will be interesting to see what works and what doesn’t. It also gives people a rough idea of what how little work the framework does to create the final appearance.  It is a good structure, but the sugar does 99% of the work for fine details.

Bunny parts:

You can see the sticks will be used to hold him together.

Assembled head:

Here’s what the head will look like when it has been “assembled”.

Leave a comment

Posted by on July 31, 2011 in Projects, Sugar


Tags: , ,

Completed: Heraldic cassock- Don Griffith Davion of the Argent Tyger

The heraldic cassock for Don Griff has been completed. When worn with a linen shirt with gussets, this cassock will pass for list legal rapier armor.

  • 45 buttons
  • Black linen shell, red linen lining
  • Ermine fabric 50/50 linen cotton blend

Leave a comment

Posted by on July 25, 2011 in Embroidery, Fencing Armor, Heraldic


Swabian dress #3

After Pennsic a team of crack baronial seamstresses will be working on a swabian dress for HRH for a  Yule 2011 delivery.  I have worked out a design that most people seem to be on board with and we are awaiting confirmation from HRH.

I am the bus driver for the project. It is probably the most insane of the 3 dresses that I’ve worked on. But should be a lot of fun. It is one of the more interesting designs, as it is more heraldic in nature than the other 2.    We are combining House ICOD and Duchy Tarragon, with HRH personal device and the English Roses of the Queen’s device.  I will be working on a dress diary as this progresses.  With 5-7 people working on this garment, it should be a really awesome site to behold.


Sleeve close-up.

1 Comment

Posted by on July 18, 2011 in 16th Century, Embroidery, German, Heraldic, Sewing


Tags: , , ,